Pages

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Dinner at the Manor- A Leeds Supper Club 2: Nigel Slater and Leeds Brewery Event

©

One of the (many) reasons I love love LOVE Twitter is that I can sneak into events on last minute cancellations. That's how I managed to be back at the Manor on Saturday night. I'd like to take a moment to thank whoever it was that gave up their almost-as-hard-to-get-as-a-pink-diamond place. Me and my tummy thank you muchly.

As ever, Dan and Susie were excellent hosts, and their concept of menus derived from popular cookbooks then matched with drinks continues to be a winning formula. This time it was Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries with the food being matched to beers from Leeds Brewery, who produce some delightful brews, even enjoyed by just-occasional beer drinkers like me.

Our aperitif was a pint of Leeds' Best, although in my case it was a measly quarter-pint, because of my resentment at spending money on a taxi when I have a perfectly delightful Volvo C30 R-Design (AKA Jini's pride and joy that she is loathe to part from) to whizz around town in. The Leeds' Best is a smooth, well-balanced bitter, that went very well with the canapes which were served in the Library.



The canapes were a really good mix and so flavourful. There were homemade flatbreads with a rich taramasalata and a light baba ganoush decorated with pomegranate seeds. There were also teeny-tiny little pork and lemon polpettini- meatballs- that were really zingy. My favourite, however, was the risotto cakes with Yorkshire Blue Cheese. They were creamy, cheesy, unctuous and so totally moreish that I very nearly turned into a three-year-old to have a temper tantrum when the last one got eaten!

We were soon invited down to the table. I love Susie and Dan's style- vibrant, quirky and patriotic! We were welcomed with an amuse-bouche of spiced pumpkin soup with bacon, which was served in a little espresso cup. I almost stuck my tongue into the empty cup to lick it clean, and then remembered that I'm supposed to be respectable...




Our starters followed. There was a choice of baked onion with parmesan and cream or smoked mackerel on toast. I went with the latter and was not disappointed! The starter was served with a half-pint of Midnight Bell. I'd heard great things about this ale and I absolutely adored it! Dark, caramel, chocolate, coffee, toffee and liquorice combined into one amazing mild brew. It went so well with the starters. The toast was made from homemade bread rolls, which were made with Midnight Bell, and it held the smoked mackerel well. I especially loved the fresh salad made of rocket, parsley and fennel, which was dressed with lemon and rapeseed oil. It was so simple, but it cut through the richness of the mackerel perfectly.



There was a brief interlude before the main course came round, which was to be served with a bottle of Hellfire- Leeds Brewery's IPA (That's Indian Pale Ale, FYI). Dan and Susie kindly brought them round unopened so those of us driving/refusing to be parted from our own vehicles could take them home. Unfortunately I managed to leave mine behind at the end of the evening so I can't comment on Hellfire's apparent refreshing fruity tastes with a lasting pleasant bitterness, but I will next time I'm out for a drink!


The main course was either a chickpea and sweet potato curry or a spiced leg of lamb with chickpea mash. As delicious as the curry sounded, if lamb's on the menu, 9 times out of 10 some of it will get eaten by me. I wasn't disappointed by The Manor's offering. The lamb had been marinated in garlic, paprika, cumin and thyme, and then slow-roasted, leaving a lovely savoury coating, It was also beautifully tender, but the slices held together well. The chickpea mash was a revelation- so many times when I've had it in restaurants or tried to make it, it's ended up too claggy or too bitty. Susie told me that she and Dan cut some sweet potato into their chickpea mash, and mixed it with a little paprika= perfect! Definitely something I'm going to be trying! The dish was rounded off with some simple green beans tossed in cumin. Lovely.

A tangy and fresh clementine sorbet palate cleanser then came forth, after which I ended up sucking the spoon (it was that good!).


By this time I was feeling just a little full, but happily so, and when I saw that dessert was a chocolate pudding served with a 'Midnight Manor' cocktail (Midnight Bell, creme de cacao and Kahlua) I actually was more excited about the drink. Although it was yummy, I was WRONG. I should have known that it wouldn't just be a chocolate pudding, but a chocolate pudding of the highest order. The David Beckham/Lewis Hamilton/Insert-top-scrumptious sportsman-of-your-choice-here of chocolate puddings.

Hot dark chocolate untainted by flour, beautifully puffy and risen, yet melty, gooey and sticky inside. At the bottom, just when I thought the chocolate was going to overcome me, were tart raspberries, which cut through the chocolate and helped me finish the whole thing. At the same time was served a homemade vanilla ice-cream that wasn't too sweet either- the perfect foil for the chocolate pudding. I'm actually just getting tingles down my spine thinking of it!




See what I mean?

The meal was rounded off by Susie's beautiful mini-cupcakes, this time chocolate-orange, and coffees with their very cute mini milk bottles.



My return to The Manor was as fantastic as first time round. Suzie and Dan just go from strength to strength, and I cannot wait for visit number 3, whenever that may be. Thanks so much guys!

Dinner at the Manor

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jini,
Once again, thank you for your lovely write up! We're glad that people want to come back to our evenings, I think that's the biggest reward for us. Dan has posted the amazing chocolate pud recipe is on my blog so you can relive the chocolatey gooey-ness! See you soon!
Susie x

munchymedic said...

Oh I will most definitely making that! Possibly just for me! xxx